Re: NYTimes.com Article: Europe's Chance in the Mideast
by KSamman
16 July 2001 14:59 UTC

NY Times:
<<Israel is in many ways a European country . . . Most Israeli
universities, newspapers and orchestras were created by
European emigrants . . . Richard Wagner, most definitely a
European composer one whose music was adored not only
by Hitler but by Theodor Herzl>>

In imagining the future state of Israel, Herzl writes in his novel
"Old-New Land":

"What happened to old Palestine?  There's been a miracle
here.  A magnificent city had been built beside the sapphire-blue
Mediterranean . . . Brilliant Oriental robes mingled with the sober
costumes of the Occident, but the latter predominated.  There
were many Chinese, Persians and Arabs in the streets, but the
city [Tel-Aviv] itself seemed thoroughly European."

"They do not recognize us as Austro-Germans . . . All right, we
shall move away; but over there, too, we shall only be Austrians"

In The Jewish State he writes:
"We will have a university and an opera [in the Jewish State] and
you will attend the opera in your swallow-tailed coat with a white
gardenia in your button-hole . . . Dull brains might . . . imagine that
this exodus would be from civilized regions into the desert.  That
is not the case.  It will be carried out in the midst of civilization.
We shall not revert to a lower stage, we shall rise to a higher one.
We shall not dwell in mud huts; we shall build new more beautiful
and more modern houses."

David Ben-Gurion:

The State of Israel is a part of the Middle East only in geography"