interesting research materials and what george w. forgot to take in his suitcase to göteborg
by Tausch, Arno
12 June 2001 07:29 UTC

Mark, what about going to the magnificent website of Lund University? It's
in Swedish and English, and they even have a personnel search programme!

The result, needless to say, is:

Hornborg , Alf , professor , 046-222 31 13 .
Alf.Hornborg@humecol.lu.se
Department Human Ecology

But Mark - interesting materials indeed, these papers by Alf Hornborg. Alf's
paper on Technology & Unequal exchange will be music to Gernot Köhler's
ears! Less so, most probably, to George W. and the anti-Kyoto-guys on his
entourage!

In future cases like these: Guys from across the pot -

Just try to use

http://www.google.com

or
the Metasearch Engines
        *       http://www.infind.com/
        *       Metacrawler http://www.go2net.com/search.html
        *       ProFusion http://www.profusion.com/
        *       SavvySearch http://www.savvysearch.com/

especially pro Fusion - it's excellent for academic purposes (I got that one
from the website of the University of Hawaii at Manoa school of public
health recently):

Some Hornborg results:

CURRICULUM VITAE ALF HORNBORG   Human Ecology devision

Born    October 20, 1954
Marital status  Married, 2 children
Home address    Stora Södergatan 44, 222 23 Lund, Sweden; Phone 46-46-306538

Office address  Human Ecology Division, Lund University. Finngatan 16, 223
62 Lund, Sweden; Phone 46-46-2223113, fax: 46-46-2223695

.       .       .
Education       .       B.A. in Social Anthropology, Ethnology, Sociology,
Biology; Lund University, September 1976  Ph.D. in Cultural Anthropology;
Uppsala University, May 1986 Associate Professor in Cultural Anthropology,
Uppsala University, 1989 Associate Professor in Social Anthropology,
University of Gothenburg, 1990

.       .       .
Current position        .       Professor and chair, Human Ecology Division,
Lund University, October 1993
.       .       .

.       .       .
Previous employment     .       Teacher at Dept. of Social Anthropology,
Lund University, 1975, 1977-78  Doctoral grant at Dept. of Cultural
Anthropology, Uppsala University, 1980-83 Assistant Professor at Dept. of
Cultural Anthropology, Uppsala University, 1986-90 Lecturer in Cultural
Anthropology, Uppsala University, 1990 Lecturer in Social Anthropology,
University of Gothenburg, 1991-93
.       .       .

.       .       .
Major research grants   .       The Swedish Council for Research in the
Humanities and Social Sciences, 1981 (Dual organization in the Pre-Columbian
Andes)  The Swedish Council for Research in the Humanities and Social
Sciences, 1990-92 (Technology as culture) The Bank of Sweden Tercentenary
Foundation, 1991, 1992-93 (Environmentalism and identity on Cape Breton) The
Swedish Agency for Research Cooperation with Developing Countries,
1991-93(Controlling "development") The Swedish Council for Planning and
Coordination of Research, 1991-92 (Economics as culture) The Nordic Council
of Ministers 1996-98 (Negotiating nature) The Swedish Council for Forestry
and Agricultural Research 1998-2000; The Crafoord Foundation 1998-1999; The
National Heritage Board 1998-2000 (Local knowledge for self-maintaining
agricultural systems) The Bank of Sweden Tercentenary Foundation, 2000-2001
(Amerindian ecocosmologies and modern environmental ethics) The Swedish
Agency for Research Cooperation with Developing Countries, 2000-2001 (A
comparative study of indigenous knowledge and marine tenure systems in
Oceania)
.       .       .

.       .       .
Fieldwork       .       Peru, 1981  Nova Scotia, Canada, 1991, 1992-93, 1996
Kingdom of Tonga, 1998
.       .       .
        Alf Hornborg Selected publications

1983            Dual Organization and Hierarchy in the Andes: A Model for
the Logic of Village Quadripartition in the Pampas River Area of Peru. N.
Fock, ed., Hvad kan vi laere af andre kulturer?, pp.194-203. Copenhagen:
Institut for etnologi og antropologi.

1985            Review of J. Offner, Law and Politics in Aztec Texcoco.
Ethnos 50:329-331.
                Structural Congruities in Lowland South America:
Trajectories of Dravidian Classification. Antropologiska studier
38/39:80-86.

1986            Review of D. Sperber, On Anthropological Knowledge. Ethnos
51:318-320.

1987            Review of P. Riviere, Individual and Society in Guiana: A
Comparative Study of Amerindian Social Organization. Ethnos 52:410-412.
Lineality in Two-Line Relationship Terminologies. American Anthropologist
89:454-456.

1988            Dualism and Hierarchy in Lowland South America. 304 pp.
Uppsala Studies in Cultural Anthropology 9. Almqvist & Wiksell
International.

1989            Stratification and Exchange in the Pre-Columbian Andes.
Ethnos 54:217-228.  Imperialismens termodynamik. Tvärsnitt 89:4:32-41.

1990            Highland and Lowland Conceptions of Social Space in South
America: Some Ethnoarchaeological Affinities. Folk 32:61-92.

1991            Maskinen som komplott. Tvärsnitt 91:3:53-61.  Money and
Meaning: Towards a Multi-centric Economy. J.C. Dragan, E.K. Seifert & M.C.
Demetrescu, eds., Entropy and Bioeconomics, pp.311-321. Nagard.
Nordenskiölds syn på transpacifisk diffusion. J.Å. Alvarsson, S. Brunius,
S.I. Isacsson & Å. Hultcrantz, eds., Erland Nordenskiöld: Forskare och
Indianvän, pp.115-124. Carlssons. Fornamerikansk konst och arkitektur:
Sydamerika. Nationalencyklopedin 6:512-513.

1992            Machine Fetishism, Value and the Image of Unlimited Good:
Towards a Thermodynamics of Imperialism. Man 27:1-18.  Det omöjliga steget.
Sjunde Bakvattnet 1:1:8-14. Indianer: Sydamerika. Nationalencyklopedin
9:393-394. Inka. Nationalencyklopedin 9:467-469.

1993            Distinctions That Mystify: Technology Versus Economy and
Other Fragmentations. Knowledge and Policy 6:37-45.  Environmentalism and
Identity on Cape Breton: On the Social and Existential Conditions for
Criticism. G. Dahl, ed., Green Arguments and Local Subsistence, pp.128-161.
Stockholm. Panoan Marriage Sections: A Comparative Perspective. Ethnology
32:101-108. Review of S.R. Couch & J.S. Kroll-Smith, Societies at Risk:
Environmental Hazards and Technological Change. Anthropologica 35:131-132.
Review of E. Croll & D. Parkin, Bush Base - Forest Farm: Culture Environment
and Development. Ethnos 58:394-396. Civilisation och självet. Working Papers
9:1-17. Department of Social Anthropology. University of Gothenburg.

1994            Världssystem och helhetsperspektiv: Om ekonomi, teknologi
och exergi. Häften för kritiska studier 94:1:26-34.  Kultur, ekologi och
hållbar utveckling: Lokal kunskap och det moderna förnuftets U-sväng. Facta
& Futura 94:1:20-31. Environmentalism, Ethnicity and Sacred Places:
Reflections on Modernity, Discourse and Power. Canadian Review of Sociology
and Anthropology 31:245-267. Antropologi som utsiktsplats och revolution. K.
Århem, ed., Den antropologiska erfarenheten, pp.325-343. Carlssons. Orden
som fjärmar oss: ekologi, mening och språk. Lundaforskare föreläser
26:107-113. Encompassing Encompassment: Anthropology and the U-Turn of
Modernity. Ethnos 59:232-247.

1995            Humanekologi som överlevnadsforskning. Humanekologi
13:3-4:49-57.  Om vikten av att inte blunda för motsättningar i
kretsloppsarbetet. Humanekologi 13:3-4:27-32. Hur kan samhället se på
jordbrukets långsiktiga funktion ur ett globalt perspektiv? Kungl. Skogs- o.
Lantbr.akad. Tidskr. 134:7:11-16. Att få tala som en hövding: Om framväxten
av en ny självbild hos mikmak. M. Kurkiala & H. Moksnes, ed., Den obrutna
cirkeln: Motstånd och överlevnad bland Amerikas indianer, pp.157-183.
Carlssons. Review of D. Steiner & M. Nauser, Human Ecology: Fragments of
Anti-Fragmentary Views of the World. Ecological Economics 14:209-211.

1996            Ecology as Semiotics: Outlines of a Contextualist Paradigm
for Human Ecology. P. Descola & G. Pálsson, eds., Nature and Society:
Anthropological Perspectives, pp.45-62. Routledge.  Recension av C.Lindberg,
Erland Nordenskiöld: En antropologisk biografi. Acta Americana:4:1:68-74.
Landskapet som "text"? Några funderingar kring ett stycke svensk skärgård.
B. Svensson & K. Saltzman, eds., Moderna landskap: Tradition och
identifikation i svensk kulturmiljö, pp.207-219. Natur och kultur 1997. The
Root of All Evil: Towards a Transdisciplinary Understanding of Accumulation.
M. Rolén, ed., Challenges in Environmental Human Dimensions Research: Some
Swedish Perspectives, pp.46-53. The Swedish Council for Planning and
Coordination of Research. (with G. Pálsson), Nature and Society: A Contested
Interface. Lundalinjer 114:43-57.

1997            Miljökamp hos mi'kmaq: Identitet och politik. U. Dahre, ed.,
Ursprungsbefolkningar och miljön, pp.30-38. International Work Group for
Indigenous Affairs.  Review of P. Harries-Jones, A Recursive Vision: Gregory
Bateson and Ecological Understanding. Ethnos 62:147-149. Dual organisering,
hierarki og firedelingslogik i Andes: en komparativ tilgang. Tidsskriftet
Antropologi 35-36:89-100. La visión de Nordenskiöld sobre la difusión
cultural transpacífica. J.Å. Alvarsson et al., eds., Erland Nordenskiöld -
investigador y amigo del indígena, pp.155-170. Quito: Abya Yala.

1998            Mi'kmaq Environmentalism: Local Incentives and Global
Projections. A. Sandberg & S. Sörlin, eds., Sustainability - The Challenge:
People, Power and the Environment, pp.202-211. Black Rose Books.  World
Systems in the Andes. S. Ahlgren, A. Muñoz, S. Sjödin & P. Stenborg, eds.,
Past and Present in Andean Prehistory and Early History, pp.103-117.
Etnologiska studier 42. Etnografiska muséet, Gothenburg. Towards an
Ecological Theory of Unequal Exchange: Articulating World System Theory and
Ecological Economics. Ecological Economics 25:1:127-136. Opposition,
Hierarchy and Gender in Aboriginal South America: Linguistic and
Architectural Homologies. L. Larsson & B. Stjernquist, eds., The World-View
of Prehistoric Man, pp.93-102. The Royal Academy of Letters, History and
Antiquities. Serial Redundancy in Amazonian Social Structure: Is There a
Method for Poststructuralist Comparison? M. Godelier, T.R. Trautmann & F.E.
Tjon Sie Fat, eds., Transformations of Kinship, pp.168-186. Smithsonian
Institution. Ecological Crisis as a Crisis of Society: A Plea for
Contextualism and Holism. B.L.B. Wiman, I.M.B. Wiman & S.L. Vanden Akker,
eds., The Art of Natural Resource Management, pp.451-464. Lund University
Press. Accumulation Based on Symbolic versus Intrinsic "Productivity":
Conceptualizing Unequal Exchange from Spondylus Shells to Fossil Fuels. J.
Friedman & R. Denemark, eds., World System History: The Social Science of
Long-Term Change. Routledge. (In press) Beyond Nostalgia and Cynicism:
Indigenous Environmentalism and the Politics of Ecological Irony. In C.
Brown, A. Escobar & S. Hvalkof, eds., Contested Domains: Political Ecology
and Social Practice. (Under review) En ekologisk revolution? Det moderna
utmanat. Tvärsnitt 1998:3. Ecological Embeddedness and Personhood: Have We
Always Been Capitalists? Anthropology Today 14:2:3-5. The Royal
Anthropological Institute. Miljöhistoria, humanekologi och ekologisk
antropologi: Skillnader och konvergenser. M. Johansson, ed., Miljöhistoria
idag och imorgon, pp.105-123. Högskolan i Karlstad. Ecosystems, World
Systems and Environmental Justice: Challenging the Illusion of the
Disembodied Economy. U. Svedin & A. Underdahl, eds. (Forthcoming).
Människans försörjning: Teknologi, ekologi och ekonomi i ett globalt och
historiskt perspektiv. H. Bruun, ed., Humanekologiska perspektiv på
människans tillvaro, pp.292-318. Nya Doxa. Gudarnas föda och svart guld:
Teknik, fetischism och exploatering i andinsk och europeisk civilisation.
Häften för kritiska studier 31:2:3-14. From Animal Masters to Ecosystem
Services: Exchange, Personhood and Ecological Practice. A. Roepstorff, N.
Bubandt & K. Kull, eds., The Uses of Nature. Tartu. (Forthcoming) Ekosystem,
världssystem och miljörättvisa: Om "grön" beroendeteori och hållbarhetens
fördelningsaspekter. In O.Wärneryd, red., Hållbart samhälle, s.100-119. FRN.
ed. (with M. Kurkiala), Voices of the Land: Identity and Ecology in the
Margins, Introduction, Chapter 1, Chapter 5. Lund Studies in Human Ecology
1. Lund University Press. Lång väg till ekologisk revolution. Räntefri 2/98.
Ecosystems and World Systems: Accumulation as an Ecological Process. Journal
of World-Systems Research 4:2:169-177. Rättvisans postmoderna död. Dagens
Nyheter 1998-11-11 (Tredje Sidan).

1999            Comment on Nurit Bird-David, "'Animism' Revisited:
Personhood, Environment, and Relational Epistemology", Current Anthropology
40:1:S80-81.  The Semiotics of Modernity and Ecological Degradation.
Manuscript. Symbolic Technologies: Machines and the Marxian Notion of
Fetishism (under review, Anthropological Theory). [Revised version of paper
presented at the seminar series "Animated Materiality: Breathing Life into
Things", Institute of Social and Cultural Anthropology, University of
Oxford, March 1999] The Power of the Machine: Money, Modernity and Global
Ecology. (Book manuscript, 272 pp., under review) Traditionen och det
moderna tillståndet: om att återerövra platsen. Kulturens årsbok 1999,
pp.187-207. Comment on Peter Brosius, "Anthropological Engagements with
Environmentalism", Current Anthropology 40:2. ed. (with G. Pálsson),
Negotiating Nature: Rights in Nature, Ecological Knowledge, and
Environmental Policy. Lund Studies in Human Ecology 2. Lund University
Press. (Forthcoming) Money and the Semiotics of Ecosystem Dissolution.
Journal of Material Culture 4:2:143-162.

Further links to Hornborg's interesting work:

http://www.inesglobal.com/

http://www.inesglobal.com/publication/ines_proceedings/WORKSHOP_3HTM/HORNBOR
G.HTM

further materials:

UN-Related Projects at Lund University, Sweden
Humanities

Department of European Ethnology
Finngatan 16, S-223 62 Lund
Human Ecology Division
Finngatan 16, S-223 62 Lund
Key person Alf Hornborg
tel +46-46-222 31 13 fax +46-46-222 36 95
Project "Development" as Accumulation: The
Thermodynamics of Imperialism and Global Ecology
Project country Andean countries (Ecuador, Peru, Bolivia)
Publications
"Machine Fetishism, Value, and the Image of Unlimited Good:
Towards a Thermodynamics of Imperialism", Man 27:1-17 (1992).
"Distinctions That Mystify: Technology versus Economy and Other
Fragmentations", Knowledge and Policy 6:37-45 (1993).

Kindest regards

MR Dr. Arno Tausch
c/EUI/12+13 - BMSG
A-1010 Vienna