Re: Virus alert - HOAX
by Ysmay
02 June 2001 21:48 UTC

This virus alert recently posted is a Hoax.  Deleting this file will do
damage to your system.  See below for info:

HREF="http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/sulfnbk.exe.warning.html">
http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/sulfnbk.exe.warning.html</A>
>According to Symantec (Norton) the Sulfnbk.exe is a HOAX.   Every windows
>user has it on their computer because it is an execution file so Windows can
>handle long file names (or something like that).

Real close, Peter:-)  It's a program that recovers long file
names after a Windows98 uninstall:-)

<A HREF="http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q190/4/18.ASP">
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q190/4/18.ASP</A>?
LN=EN-US&SD=gn&FR=0&qry=sulfnbk.exe&rnk=1&src=DHCS_MSPSS_gn_
SRCH&SPR=W98SE

This hideously long link, which you'll have to cut and paste, is
from a Microsoft site and explains what it is.

Angel
Siren of the Sea

AND:

Hi Angel ... this could help those who deleted the file to restore it ;-)
I wasn't sure where to find the info ;-)

Actually ...
<A HREF="http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q190/4/18.ASP">
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q190/4/18.ASP</A>

Takes you to the same article (fix instructions?)    Don't know why they
have all those extra lines ;-)

The alert itself is the virus.   I hope this helps.\

Ysmay