Re: re P Grimes
by Peter Grimes
26 May 2001 08:04 UTC

Friends,

        I thank Mr Blewitt for his appreciation of the extent of state
monitoring today.  Because this capacity is mainly used for electronic
intercepts, it is only efficiently effective when deployed against those
using communications technology: computers, cell phones, telephones.  That
implies that it is least effective against the very poor who lack such
toys.
        For those of us who use e-mail etc,  I suggest that we assume that
all of our communications are vulnerable to intercepion, and thereby
transparent.  I have myself been operating under this assumption for at
least a decade, yet have found it no impediment to my work.  If we allow
fear of the state or anyone else to stop us from talking, then we will
have committed intellectual suicide.

--Peter Grimes