Re: Invisible Strengths
by Alan Spector
04 May 2001 02:28 UTC

My thoughts on this--I would not use Toffler's opinions as data. While I do believe that there is a "ruling class" of capitalists, and I do believe that some thousands of them exert major influence over many institutions, I also believe that there is a lot of folklore posing as "serious analysis" on the questions of who rules america and how do they exercise their power. Much of that folklore is embarassingly simplistic and some of it is dangerous, bordering on racism, etc.

 While I don't agree with a lot of Domhoff's analysis, I do believe that his research is generally excellent (as is much of his analysis).  It's not just wealth--it is also how that wealth is exercised. President of Chase Bank has much more influence than Bill Gates, even if Gates' personal wealth far exceeds the President of Chase Bank's wealth.  So the interlocks with banks are important, not just family lineages.

Alan Spector
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, May 03, 2001 5:44 PM
Subject: Re: Invisible Strengths

In his 1980 book, 'The Third Wave' Alvin Toffler divides the elites into two groups, 'The Super Elites' and the 'Sub-Elites.'

David F. Korten, in the 'Post-Corporate World' notes that 200 people control 51% of the World's Wealth.  These people appear to be the group referred to as the 'Bilderberg Group' - or the 'Super Elites.'  In the book, 'The Perfect Future' (Micklewaithe, et al - 2000) the authors write that when the Bilderberg Group meets financial events follow.  In this group appear to be Heads of State, Old Money interests, etc. -- those that are in charge of investment allocation.

Toffler refers to the Sub-elites, or corporate TNC managers, as 'the integrators' who operate within the limits that the Super Elites set for them.

Toffler also writes that '(W)ithin every Second Wave Society, consequently, a parallel architecture of elites spang up.  And--with local variation--this hidden hierarchy of power was born again after every crisis or political upheaval.  Names, slogans, party labels and candidates might change; revolutions jmight come and go.  New faces might appear behind the mighty mahogany desks.  But the basic architecture of power remained.'

In reading, 'Rule by Secrecy' by Jim Marrs (2000), and then following it with 'The Money Men' by Jeffrey Birnbaum (2000), it is amazing to see the pattern repeated over and over again as different 'societies' were created but the names attached to family lineage appear in descending order down thru the ages and into today as Birnbaum reveals the names of those who are the "money men' of "K" Street in Washington, D.C., who man the CIA, the foundations and universities, the military-industrial complex, and are nominated for the Presidency of the U.S.

I am most interested in this subject since I am preparing to write a book which will include background information on the 'elites' and how their power is exerted.  What I cannot help but wonder, and what Toffler hints at is that the power of the 'Sub-elites' may now have surpassed that of the Super Elites.  And that the power of the mafia's and cartels, e.g., the Chinese Triads, may have joined with the Sub-elites.

Any thoughts on this?  Or other background information that may be useful?

marguerite

Marguerite Hampton
Executive Director - Turtle Island Institute
EcoPilgrim@juno.com
http://tii-kokopellispirit.org