Second Nature Launches Resdesigned Website
by Stephen Layman
03 May 2001 13:47 UTC

* * * * * Apologies for any cross postings * * * * *

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

As a friend of Second Nature, we welcome you to visit our redesigned
website.  The website was officially re-launched on Earth Day, Sunday, April
22.  We have included a press release (below) to announce the event.  Aside
from spreading the word generally, we want to invite you specifically to see
a special presentation we have crafted.  We're very excited about the new
look and feel of our website and hope this short presentation will show you
what we mean.

Thanks to all of you who have contributed to our work and the website
specifically.  Please pass this along to colleagues and co-workers who we
may have missed in this mailing and who you feel would also like to view the
presentation.

Click here to take a look (Flash plug-in required)...
<http://www.secondnature.org/flash_intro.html>

++++++++++++++++ Press Release Follows ++++++++++++++++

Earth Day Launch of Second Nature's Redesigned Website
From Second Nature, Inc.
Thursday, April 19, 2001

BOSTON, MA ‹ On Earth Day 2001, Second Nature will mark another milestone
for the environment with the launch of its redesigned website, creating "the
online place" on the internet where anyone can exchange ideas and
information, offer suggestions and learn about environmental sustainability
in higher education.  This redesign is intended to make
http://www.secondnature.org the premier destination for individuals seeking
to incorporate principles of sustainability into higher education.

Second Nature is a Boston-based national organization working to help higher
education in preparing future professionals for the increasingly complex
environmental challenges we face.  The organization offers colleges and
universities a range of programs, training sessions, one-on-one consulting
and online resources to make the integration of environmental sustainability
thinking "second nature" to higher education.

The new website is designed to provide updated content, increased
user-friendliness and additional components to help more faculty,
administrators, students and other visitors gain from one another's work in
the Education for Sustainability (EFS) movement.  There are new features to
help first-time visitors understand and navigate the content-rich databases;
new navigation encompassing even more educational resources; new
opportunities allowing contributors to share ideas; and additional
information about EFS, including profiles of sustainability initiatives at
higher education institutions.  Visitors to the website during the
beta-testing process were enthusiastic in their feedback.  As they come in,
suggestions will continue to be reviewed by the Second Nature staff and
contribute to the evolution of the look, feel and impressive collection of
online resources.

Second Nature and other like-minded organizations believe strongly that
higher education must change the way it teaches professionals, the way it
operates and relates to the local and regional communities to help solve
complex issues like global climate change, air pollution, toxic waste and
water quality while improving the health, social stability and economic
security of communities and preserving the life support system on which we
all depend.  While many colleges and universities offer "Environmental
Studies" programs, too many lack an across-the-board, or interdisciplinary,
approach to teaching, as well as programs to "practice what they preach" in
reducing the environmental impact of the institution and helping to improve
local communities.  According to Second Nature's president, Anthony Cortese,
this systemic approach is critical to prevent environmental problems before
they develop and to help create a healthy, just and sustainable society that
works for all current and future generations of humans and other species.

For more information on the Earth Day launch of http://www.secondnature.org,
please call Raelene Hourany, Second Nature's Manager of Marketing and
Administration at 617/292-7771.

Posted at: http://www.enn.com/direct/display-release.asp?id=4134