Trouble Brewing over Threat of Privatization at UTK
by Cameron Brooks

From: Frances L Ansley <ansley2@utkux.utcc.utk.edu>
To: ansley@utk.edu
Subject: Trouble Brewing over Threat of Privatization at UTK

Dear Labor & Human Rights Lists,

I am forwarding an article that appeared in Wednesday's Daily Beacon about
the very vivid fears of UTK housekeeping staff that the university is
preparing to privative work in the residence halls this summer. Members of
the custodial staff in the residence halls  will be working hard to get
both clarification and substantive assurances about this matter from the
UTK administration, and it is quite likely that they will be asking others
for support in this effort, so I thought that people on these lists who
may not have seen the Beacon article would want to be alerted.

A couple of background paragraphs may also be in order, so they
follow.  The Beacon Article is pasted into the bottom of the message.

Brief background on privatization at UTK:

As most of you probably know, this campus has already seen two earlier
waves of privatization.  In the first instance, the custodial staff in
most classroom and office buildings was privatized a decade or so ago,
with the work turned over to Service Solutions.  It is my strong
person impression that dissatisfaction with current maintenance practices
in our workspaces is both wide and deep among faculty and staff.  Many of
us who worked on this campus when regular UT employees did this work
remember how different it was when we had relationships with a
corps of stable employees who were covered by UT benefits plans,
considered themselves part of the UT community, and readily did tasks
that appeared to be important and necessary without regard to whether the
tasks were specified by name in a service contract.

In the second instance, food services jobs were contracted out to Aramark.

In both prior instances of privatization, there were plenty of private
conversations and some expressions of individual concern, but no
public debate, deliberation, or outcry took place, although the
decisions being made were undoubtedly important ones for the campus
community as a whole, impacting quality of life, the academic mission, and
the general social climate.

Relationship to living wage issue

It is worth noting that both of these private contractors -- Aramark and
Service Solutions --  have thus far declined to reveal the wages and
benefits they pay to their employees, despite repeated requests from
members of the campus living wage campaign and from official
representatives of the Faculty Senate.  Campus administrators have
similarly declined to provide -- or even to seek -- that information.

The Faculty Senate recently addressed the issue of privatization in the
context of a larger resoluction about wages on campus. At least to my
knowledge, however, it has not yet received a public response from the
administration.

In March the Senate resolved that the University should endorse the
concept of a living wage as a long-term goal, and should
devote concrete resources toward meeting that goal over each of the next
several years.  As a key complement to the living wage resolution, the
Senate also resolved that if low-wage jobs on campus were contracted out
in the future, the contracts should require that the work be compensated
at a living wage level, or at least no for no less than wages paid to
comparable employees working directly for the university.  Otherwise, of
course, selected bottom-tier wages could be "disappeared" first, and
lowered later, falling off the community's radar screen entirely, although
workers would still be present and would still be doing our work.

There has as yet been no public response from the administration to the
Faculty Senate recommendations described above.  If there are
indeed steps being taken to contract with  Service Solutions for work in
the residence halls, the substance of the Faculty Senate resolution is
obviously implicated in that decision.

All right, enough for my brief background paragraphs!  Thank you for
reading this far.  I hope you agree this is an important issue for our
campus. If the sharp concerns of custodial workers turn out to have been
ill-founded, we can all breathe a sigh of relief.  On the other hand, if
it turns out that the administration is indeed contemplating such a move,
perhaps this time the decision to privatize can be treated as the
important matter of public concern that it clearly is , . .

Fran A.