Re: Boles => Grimes on China
by Threehegemons

Although its dangerous to expect the past to repeat itself, to the degree
that the world system is cyclical, we would expect the US to face off with
Europe, not East Asia.  Old hegemons have typically been militarilly eclipsed
by continental powers whose impressive record at political integration is
matched by an unimpresive record of economic integration.  This is the story
of Spain, France, and Germany.  Presently the European Union is the most
innovative political actor in the world--yet economically it remains a bunch
of unintegrated nation states lumped together.  New hegemons (which are
characterized by high levels of economic integration and underdeveloped
bureaucracies) have not typically fought wars about old hegemons.  In terms
of repeating patterns, we would expect the US to increasingly look toward
East Asia as its economic (later military) savior.  But its not necessarilly
the case that these cycles will mechanically repeat themselves.

Steven Sherman