Fact Sheet on US-China "Trade Relationship"
by Boles (office)

China humiliated the US and took a step toward increasing regional power.
How far could it have gone?  How far could the US government have gone?  The
facts on China-US interdependence (below), which suggest limitations if not
a structure of cooperation, could be read as a problem for the US, in terms
of deficits, but also as a benefit to the US, in subsidizing standards of
living.  The difference, and the tendential decline of the US, could impact
future US reactions to rising East Asian powers.

I'm not sure we can expect US citizens and politicians to listen to the
rational voice peace that international capital often speaks.  As US
conditions decline, will the people instead "push" macho idiots like Bush
forward?  Living in a bible belt state -- Oklahoma -- of declining standards
of living, I might expect them to, for the people here continue to elect
people like governor Keating who drive their standards of living down in a
"race to the bottom," and they think he's just great.  Are the costal
suburbanites all that different?

elson