Benefits of Globalization?
by .paul riesz

Dear Richard:
In your latest posting you comment:
"Fruits of globalization'?  The destruction of the environment?  The
waste of our few remaining fossil fuels?  The enslavement of the South
by the IMF?  The loss of our sovereignty to corporate bureaucracies?  An
accelerating pattern of military interventionism by the US and the EU?"

This does not seem to be based on an objective analysis, since:
The basic idea of globalization, that countries should export part of
the goods, which they can produce cheaper than elsewhere and import
others, for which they have few if any comparative advantages MUST
produce economic benefits for both sides. It can and should be carried
out WITHOUT any of the harmful practices you mention.

You should have taken the time to read the later part of my original
posting, where I suggest:
"The pioneering country might also want to invite foreign investments in
selected sectors, where such investments offer both a lot of well paying
jobs and other benefits for the country and good profitability for the
investors.  Conditions on decent and slowly growing wages, workers
protection and on safeguarding the environments could be established in
the invitation or could be negotiated."

Regards         Paul