Re: Bush mideast policy
by Boles (office)

> But it seems to me that
> an eschatological interest in Jewish control of Palestine, and especially
> Jerusalem, is the cornerstone of a significant part of the US elite,
> especially that part of it that proclaims itself as born again (as W.
> does).

But why Boris?

Because, as Steve "we don't want to get overly involved in 'peace
processes'--we have missile defense systems to build!" ?  That sounds on
target to me.

I suspect, in addition, that between Sharon and Bush Jr. there is an
underlying ideological-morally affinity -- a "get tough again" kind of
mentality.   This would seem why the odd position of Bush Jr. has less to do
with his policy being driven by US Jewry, though no doubt the Zionists are
strong and supportive.  And it is in this sense that Bush Jr. is seems more
similar to Reagan than Bush Sr., if not attempting to emulate him and be
another Reagan.  Indeed, the "compassionate" part of his conservative
platform fell away about as fast as his positions on the environment and
labor safety regulations.

In this sense, there seems to arise again that thin line between rational or
realpolitics (which seems to have had the upper hand under Bush Sr. and
Clinton) and moral politics (which seems to have had the upper hand under
Reagan and Bush Jr.).  Progress here and in the Middle East today appears
less important than doing the "right thing" (no pun intended).  And so
people can also do the right thing too (ala Spike Lee), and build a social
system not on rationality, but on moral justice.