Historiography nr. 5
by Seyed Javad

Thank you for reading this and thanks for all your constructive suggestions;
here you go:

The problem with the theorists of Enlightenment
and
Its impact on Classicality

Whether mainstream sociologists admit or not, there is more to sociology and
its alleged empirical theories than conventional historiography reveals.  At
the heart of each theory and at the core of Sociological Theory, there is a
notion ( a very dear one indeed) about the very structure of civilization
and its mechanism.  In other words, it seems most of the Big Sociologists
from Comte to Habermas, Giddens et.al. are working with an exclusive
civilizational paradigm: a Western paradigm which generates and re-generates
itself, and in addition has substantial impact on others without relying on
other civilizational formations ( most of the time such formations are not
even recognized theoretically; in exceptional cases one takes them in
historical consideration but their immediate impact is next to nill.)

However, this mono-civilizational paradigm, in my view, suffers from a grave
misunderstanding ( in relation to the nature of human knowledge
transmission) and lacks historical endorsement.  What in actual terms is
needed is a multi-civilizational framework which could accomodate an
interactive understanding of human ( not just

in geographical or political terms but in homosapinal terms ie as a
universal phenomenon) civilizational process.

The result of this shift would bring vast empirical results.  The change in
this level which envelopes the whole notion of Western modernity and its
alleged enlightening project ( and its sociological collorarly that is
understood by the theorists of Enlightenment as a unique modern European
project) would refashion our understanding of modernity.  The more practical
result would be an enlargement of our vision of modernity's periodicity
within human civilizational process.  In my view, this would take us to the
very heart of Classicality and Canonicity in current sociological
literature- that is fashioned in accordance to this myopic conceptualization
of civilizational process.