violent protests
by Timothy Comeau

Onca again, protests have occured over globalisation, and the police have
been accused of using excessive violence. But as we all know, it's not just
protests over globalisation where this occurs: it seems to occur whenever
and wherever a protest happens in the so called Western world.

What is going on? How come the cops always seem to overeact? What are they
being told about left wing protestors?

Is this a cause for concern, the left wing always being protrayed in the
media as a source of violence - right wing fat cats can sit back in their
offices and read the morning papers and see once again, the left is nutty
and dangerously violent. It seems that with this sort of narrative path,
there can be little hope for agreement in the future, little hope for
comprimise between profits and the ecology for instance.

And then there's the FTAA meetings that will take place in a month. I for
one am hoping that no one gets killed. But there also seems to be a mindset
out there some good police brutatilty and deaths might create some Kent
state martyrs to the cause. This is all very worisome.

Any thoughts?