Re: questions of theory, history and episteme
by Trich Ganesh

In response: firstly the question of 'epistemological retreat' w.r.t. to
Wallerstein.  I think Wallerstein's contributions have less to do with
'retreat', epistemological or otherwise, and more with opening up
controversial spaces - unthinking social sciences is surely one of
those spaces, critiquing sharply,in short, the bizarre nature of the
disciplinary boundaries, and in the process allowing social
scientists more space to problematize and circumvent such
disciplinary restrictions.  So epistemological innovations rather
than epistemologica retreat!

Regarding your comment on 'theories', here is my quick response.
A theory is a means of explanation, if it is a 'good' theory some of
the questions it will raise in the course of the explanation it offers
will be interesting and provocative ones.  Theories are not frozen
constructs produced by an abstraction of the mind: I am thinking
here also of the introduction in Marx's Grundrisse, the discussion
there of the relation between the abstract and the concrete.  'The
concrete is the concrete because it is the concentration of many
determinations, unity of the diverse'. And one would like to start
from there, the concrete in all its overdetermined present-ness.
But in the method that Marx advocates, one's journey is surely two-
fold: from concrete to abstract and then a return journey, from
abstract to concrete.  Theory is embedded in this method of
approach (in my understanding).  And theory in so far as it takes
its raw material from history, is also historical. But theory also
serves to predict: and surely there are predictions about the future
trajectory of the world system in the different works of Arrighi/Silver,
Amin, Frank and Wallerstein (and Chase Dunn), and it is these
predictions, based upon historical studies of the past five hundred
or five thousand years, that are of interest.  And one of the
predictions of interest, for me, is the rise of East Asia (Arrighi).
What is more of interest - for me - are the consequences of this
'rise' for the poor and the marginal peoples in that region and in
South Asia, as well as the contemporary effects of the 'cultural
turn' in so far as it renders less visible the workings of the market.

My question: how may theory come to terms with the effects of the
radical destitution that capitalism in its 'globalized' form is
circulating in the periphery (and this applies to the peoples of China
as well) with a determination and purpose that is radically
unsettling?  Theory is empty in so far as it merely comprehends.

Trichur K. Ganesh.