Re: "rise of china" and wst
by Trich Ganesh

Some quick responses formulated yesterday....

What's amazing is how many of us may want to respond to this
kind of a question.  There are many diverse issues at stake in this
kind of a discussion.  The 'rise' of China and East Asia in particular
as a region has been a focus of much energetic exercise
especially over the last six years.  A lot of it has to do with world
system studies.  There is a perspective that takes the world
economy as unit of analysis and in the process has been able to
make remarkably provocative statements regarding world history
and its trajectory over time and space and place.  In the process it
has also generated theoretical issues of importance (it has not
displaced by any means the relevance of Marx: in fact the most
powerful results of such a perspective have made creative
innovations out of Marx and thereby enhanced his  theoretical
status if anything).  So that is my first response, to the question of
perspective and the nature of theory ( a means of explanation of
history), though the perspective itself takes Europe as a starting
point and it has a relative validity - in my opinion - in doing so in so
far as it concentrates on systemic processes of capital
accumulation worldwide.  The rise of China then may be
considered as an outcome of the same systemic capital
accumulation process which have been cyclical, crisis-prone, and
riddled with
contradictions. One of the contradictions of this process is the way
in which capital accumulation is shifting in terms of its centre of
gravity, from a place like the US, to a region like East Asia, a
China-centred region. How do you see a 'hole' in the theory ( I am
sure there are many holes in the theory but as a general trend, in
the sense that the locus of capital accumulation is shifting to a
China-centred world economy, is there too much doubt?  I am sure
there is some especially given the military predominance of the US
but that is part of the current crisis: with its only material base a
militarized infrastructure, and with the 'financial expansion' that is a
signal of a shift, the moment of US hegemony has been in crisis
since at least 1968)?  And what is so startling about the the center
of historical gravity shifting back to a space from where it began?
'World history moves from East to West" as Hegel was fond of
saying, and with the Enlightenment project that kind of a
formulation also became a basis for a Eurocentric mode of
interpreting history and the unfolding of civilizations.  But what is
important is not Hegel's dictum but the logic of capital
accumulation, very warped, very discriminatory, but also perverse
for one who wants to see the centre of things stay in the West (I
am not saying you see it that way).

Regarding the concept of transition: I think along with the concept
of bifurcation (popularized by Wallerstein and his collaborators)
there is the concept of the aleatory, of an aleatory materialism
(Althusser) that is of fundamental importance in my judgement.
History in short is not determinate, but it (the historical past) is not
determinant in the specificity of the present conjuncture (an
overdetermined conjuncture) in so far as (i) the class struggle is
determinant of the manner in which history will unfold as future (ii)
our collective futures will be determined by the way in which we
locate ourselves, of how we appropriate 'fortuna', of how we
mobilize our individual and collective 'virtu', in a materialism that is
aleatory.  Trichur K. Ganesh.