Re: Biological Reductionism/Ideology
by Boris Stremlin
22 February 2001 21:46 UTC

OK, we've established the familiar circular pattern (which is what I
was afraid of, but the Gould piece was worth posting regardless).  Richard
will continue to insist that science (including genetics) is reductionist
- we abstract from reality, formulate theoretical models, and then test
them in the lab; anyone who does not accept this is blindly ignoring
reality.  I see little point in perpetuating this circular discussion.
For those interested in a different (non-modern) view of how
scientific knowledge is produced, though, I recommend
checking out Latour's _Pandora's Hope_, Pickering's _Mangle of Practice_
and Knorr-Cetina's _Epistemological Cultures_ (this has a chapter specially
devoted to molecular biology).  All three are critical of the
identification of science with theoretical models, and prefer to
conceptualize it in terms of a practice that brings together the agency
of the researcher with that of the materials she studies.

--
Boris Stremlin
bc70219@binghamton.edu