Re: Biological Reductionism/Ideology
by Trich Ganesh
21 February 2001 01:48 UTC

Thank you for the Hechter (Susan Hechter?) and Brustein
references.  I am familiar with the work of Arno Mayer.  Thanks
again. TKGanesh.

Date sent:              Tue, 20 Feb 2001 17:55:48 -0700 (MST)
From:                   Richard N Hutchinson <rhutchin@U.Arizona.EDU>
To:                     Trich Ganesh <TGanesh@southampton.liu.edu>
Copies to:              Alan Spector <spectors@netnitco.net>,
        WORLD SYSTEMS NETWORK <wsn@csf.colorado.edu>
Subject:                Re: Biological Reductionism/Ideology

A few useful sources on the topic of ethnic conflict, nationalism and
genocide:

Containing Nationalism (Hechter),
The Logic of Evil (Brustein),
        and
Why Did the Heavens Not Darken? (Mayer).

These works all share what I think could be characterized broadly as a
neo-Weberian analysis, a materialist analysis of group conflict.  Mayer
and Brustein specifically analyze Nazi Germany, while Hechter proposes a
general theory of nationalism and the conditions for extreme conflict.

RH