Re: Biological Reductionism/Ideology
by Alan Spector
21 February 2001 01:38 UTC

I would like to thank Trich Ganesh for the excellent comments/critique of my earlier, short comment. I agree wholeheartedly that it was not "ideology" or "psychology" that created the various fascisms and genocides of the 1930's, but rather that it was fundamentally a major crisis of capitalism that could only be solved by:

1) the destruction of major means of production as Marx said (no, I don't mean that this was all planned in advance by the capitalists to destroy the means of production to ease their crisis, but these kinds of massive wars have the effect of destroying those means of production until the crisis is eased)

and, as a related point,

2) the elimination, destruction of what Hitler called the "useless eaters", who were a dangerous potential source of rebellion and in any case, were "using up" resources that the Nazis needed to "pay off" those who were loyal to them.  This is going on today, in a more diffuse but just as deadly way, with the massive destruction of human life in the so-called "Third World", especially Africa and the Indian subcontinent, as well as in parts of Eastern Europe. One could argue that the mass incarceration of working class youth in the U.S. is an aspect of this, although much less intense.

What was my point about ideology, then?

Simply that the existence of the various (often contradictory) aspects of this fascist ideology, including especially the racism, did help win various segments to support, or at least tolerate the destruction of their working class sisters and brothers. In that sense, the ideology can be very important, in fact, decisive in certain circumstances.  My point was in response to someone who had emphasized the "practical application" of biological determinism. I was simply arguing that while the experiments that the Nazis did killed thousands, it was their ability to convince many Germans and Central & Eastern Europeans to support the racist ideology that help strengthen the Nazi regime, and therefore, probably helped kill millions. The ideology of bio-determinist racism was even more deadly than the actual experiments which were based on it. Without the support given by the widespread acceptance of aspects of that ideology, the Nazi regime would have been weaker. That's what I meant when I said that the "bad ideology helped kill millions."  Ideas can be decisive at critical points.

But Trich's point is extremely important. It is always necessary to examine just what those "critical points" are, and in the case of Nazi Germany, it has to be discussed in the context of the crisis of capitalism. Otherwise, we end up with these silly psychological reductionist theories about how "Hitler (supposedly) hypnotized a whole nation."

Thanks again for the clarification,

Alan Spector

P.S. -- A controversial but useful (and little known) book on this is Dutt "Fascism and Social Revolution", which represented major parts of the line of the Third International until it was supplanted by the softer theories of Dimitrov.  That book, and other hard to find books can often be found at addall.com (no commercial here, just some info....)

2)the