[Fwd: Call for proposals, our World Congress in Brisbane]
by chris chase-dunn

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Call for proposals, our World Congress in Brisbane
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 17:06:05 +0100
From: Volker Bornschier <vobo@soziologie.unizh.ch>
To: International Sociological Association <isa@sis.ucm.es>
CC: chriscd@mail.ucr.edu

        REMINDER - SINCE THE DEADLINE FOR OUR CALL IS FEBRUARY 15, 2001!

>Thank you.
>We shall distribute soon your call for proposals
>among ISA members and post it at the ISA-Congress
>web site.
>
>----
>International Sociological Association
>Faculty of Political Sciences & Sociology
>University Complutense, 28223 Madrid, Spain
>tel: 34-91 352 76 50, fax: 34-91 352 49 45
>e-mail: isa@sis.ucm.es  http://www.ucm.es/info/isa
>

>Volker Bornschier wrote:
>
>>  Dear Colleagues:
>>  May I ask you to communicate the following call for proposals for
>>  papers to be presented at a plenary session at the next world
>>  congress of sociology to the ISA members?
>  > Thank you very much for your attention
>  > Volker Bornschier

--------------------------------------

AFTER GLOBALIZATION: Continuities and transformational change in the
world-system

Volker Bornschier                       Christopher Chase-Dunn
University of Zurich                    University of California,
                                        Riverside

CALL FOR PROPOSALS FOR PAPERS to be presented at the

Special plenary session at the XVI World Congress of Sociology,
7-13 July 2002 in Brisbane (Australia).

For a decade the term "globalization" has played a seminal role in
social science discourse.  Its meanings have been explicated and
contested in a vast literature. And some excellent empirical studies
have been done to explore and test theoretical claims. Did basic social
mechanisms actually change, as many authors claimed? Do we need to
revise our fundamental sociological concepts? Is addition of some
discussions of globalization in textbooks sufficient, or do we need to
do more radical rethinking?

Some authors claim that a new era of world history has emerged since the
1970s. Others see recent developments as the continuation of cycles and
trends that have been operating for centuries. These basic differences
have received some attention, but we want to invite sociologists to
further clarify the issues of continuities and transformational changes
and to present empirical evidence for evaluating these theoretical
claims. Our title, After Globalization, raises the issue of the future.
Will it be a continuation of recent trends, a leveling off of global
integration, or a reversal?  Will the marketization, privatization and
deregulation of the economy increase, or will there be a reaction
against these developments. And if there is a reaction, what forms will
it take? Will there be a return to economic nationalism or will new
forms of global governance emerge that can ameliorate the huge
inequalities that have been expanded by corporate globalization? We
invite proposals that specify contending theoretical arguments about
globalization and that marshal evidence that relevant for evaluating
these, and for addressing the issues of the future of globalization.

We invite proposals for empirically oriented papers that address changes
with regard to:

- State/world-market relations (including regional integration);
- Trends in the reorganization of firms and production;
- Transnational civil society, social movements and politics (including
   the emergent anti-globalization movements);
- Recent technological developments and their social impacts;
- Transnational migration;
- Emergent global governance and world citizenship

Please submit proposals no later than February 15, 2001 to both
organizers: Volker Bornschier (vobo@soziologie.unizh.ch) Christopher
Chase-Dunn (chriscd@mail.ucr.edu)

--

Volker Bornschier