Re: Kosovo and DU
by Alan Spector

Immediately just before the NATO bombing on Yugoslavia began, the reports
were that 2,000 Kosovar Albanians had been murdered over the past two years
and that as many as 50,000, perhaps even 100,000 were about to be murdered.
After the bombing, there was a massive forced displacement of Kosovar
Albanians, including the murders of an unknown number.  Despite the best
efforts of U.S. technology, including FBI forensic experts, satellite
photos, etc, current estimates of bodies found range between 600 and 2,000,
and some of them might be Serbian victims.  Somewhere between 500 and 1500
Yugoslavians were killed as a direct result of the NATO bombing, and it is
difficult to estimate how many more deaths will result from the consequences
of bombing roads and bridges, which doubtless has caused more deaths as
people in critical situations may be unable to get quick medical care.

About the two years prior to the bombing and the initial US/NATO rationale
of two thousand murders -- Kosovo has about 2 million people. Two thousand
constitutes a murder rate of one/thousand, over two years.  Gary, Indiana
which adjoins my city of Hammond, has about 100,000 people and approximately
one hundred murders per year, or about one/thousand over one year. Gary has
twice the murder rate that Kosovo had.

But that was enough of an excuse for US/NATO which was carrying on the older
imperial British strategy of destabilizing regions to keep them weak and
vulnerable, without actually having to physically occupy them.

It is true that some Serb military forces did commit war crimes. No doubt
there were individual soldiers, even perhaps some high ranking military
officers who approved the execution of civilians. But nothing like the
ridiculous lies we were fed about 25,000 or 50,000. And if "depleted
uranium" does cause cancer among civilians, if various other actions such as
bombing chemical plants caused civilian deaths, then the charge of "war
crimes" must be applied to the US/NATO effort. And all this pales in
comparison to the massive civilian deaths caused by the US led embargo
against the Iraqi people, and of course the Vietnam War. And how come people
are developing amnesia about the massive civilian deaths the U.S. military
caused in Vietnam, as well as destabilizing the rest of Southeast Asia and
laying the basis for many more outside Vietnam?  Why are people who condemn
imperialism considered "fringe" or "hysterical"?  Because the mainstream
liberal intellectuals serve their masters by lying outright in propaganda
service to these mass murderers. And no, that's not exaggeration.

Alan Spector

Alan Spector