Re: hardt&negri's "empire"
by Richard N Hutchinson

RKM-

In simple terms, Samir Amin says that Marx was wrong in his projection of
capitalism on a world scale, because he failed to understand that capital
would be mobile globally while labor would not be.  That fact allows for
the systematic exploitation (or, if you wish, the qualitative deepening of
the already existing core/periphery exploitation that Gunder Frank says is
5000 years old) of the peripheral peasants and proletariat by core
capital.

According to Amin, then, any attempt to revise and update Marxist theory
that fails to take this basic structural divide into account repeats
Marx's original error.  (This would, perhaps needless to say, apply to
most Marxists in the core, of what few are left these days, including
Negri.)

RH