< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Re: Let's Get Coherent! (was theory & praxis)

by Petros Haritatos

11 December 2000 21:49 UTC

I like your term "values shift" for something I describe as "social
energy". Both terms point to an enormous resource which needs to be
focused. You suggest a "leader" as a focusing instrument, but what about
institutions? What would you answer to the following:

<<The second foundation is the centrality of parties. Citizenship cannot
produce sufficient change when it flows outside party systems. Only
"politics" can act directly on "the system". Citizens are conducting
hundreds of political experiments throughout the world. For example,
should one create new political vehicles to compete against the existing
ones, but would they produce clarity at the cost of marginality? Or
should one work through existing structures - something which the Empire
does to its advantage? If one follows the second path, this generates
new questions. Should activists work on anti-Empire platforms within
each party? Or should they seek to create a rift between pro and
anti-Empire parties, thus bringing back the right versus left
polarization? Answers to such practical questions will show people how
to transform social energy successfully.>>

These practical questions are part of the "Conclusion" in
www.athenian.net/invisible-strengths.htm where success is defined as
follows: <<This project succeeds if it generates politically enforceable
decisions, using the strength of states and international bodies, which
the Empire - wisely from its own viewpoint - seeks to bypass, weaken or
control. The way to achieve this is through committed political groups
and parties, mobilizing social strengths which are mostly spontaneous
and uncoordinated.>>

Petros Haritatos, Athens