< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Said on Strategy

by KSamman

10 December 2000 15:35 UTC

Greetings,

Another stunning article by Edward Said.  This one I think
many of you will find very useful, including Alan and
Richard who both have been rightfully asking for a
discussion on strategy.  Below is a short excerpt from
the essay, but if you are interested in reading the entire
piece you can find it at the following address:

http://www.ahram.org.eg/weekly/2000/511/op2.htm

Khaldoun
THE TRAGEDY DEEPENS
Edward Said
Al-Ahram Weekly On-line
7 -13 December 2000
Issue No.511

No one can deny that Palestine is an exception to nearly
all the colonial issues of the past 200 years. It is exceptional,
but not removed from history. Human history is full of similar,
if not absolutely the same, instances, and what has surprised
me, as someone living at a distance from the Middle East but
close to it in all sorts of ways, is how insulated from the rest
of the world we keep ourselves, whereas, I believe, a great
deal can be learned from the history of other oppressed
peoples in the Americas, Africa, Asia and even Europe.
Why do we resist comparing ourselves, say, with the
South African blacks, or with the American Indians, or with
the Vietnamese? By comparing I don't mean mechanically
or slavishly, but rather creatively and imaginatively.

The late Eqbal Ahmad, who was certainly one of the two
or three most brilliant analysts of contemporary history and
politics that I ever knew, always drew attention to the fact
that successful liberation movements were successful
precisely because they employed creative ideas, original
ideas, imaginative ideas where in other less successful
movements (like ours, alas) there was a pronounced
tendency to formulas and an uninspired repetition of past
slogans and past patterns of behaviour. Take as a primary
instance the idea of armed struggle. For decades we have
relied in our minds on ideas about guns and killing, ideas
that, from the 1930s until today, have brought us plentiful
martyrs but have had little real effect not so much on
Zionism but on our own ideas about what to do next. In
our case, the fighting is done by a small brave number of
people pitted against hopeless odds, i.e. stones against
helicopter gunships, Merkava tanks, missiles. Yet a quick
look at other movements -- say the Indian nationalist
movement, the South African liberation movement, the
American civil rights movement -- tell us first of all that
only a mass movement employing tactics and strategy
that maximise the popular element ever made any
difference on the occupier and/or oppressor. Second,
only a mass movement that has been politicised and
imbued with a vision of participating directly in a future
of its own making, only such a movement has historical
chance of liberating itself from oppression or military
occupation. The future, like the past, is built by human
beings. They, and not some distant mediator or saviour,
provide the agency for change.