< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Re: philosophical/theoretic explanation

by Paul Broome

06 December 2000 18:33 UTC

>What bothers me is all the
>activists and academics who are on one island or another and
>don't talk to one another. Academic specialization is the
>epitome.
>
>I'm trying to learn how to communicate with people in other
>worlds, because I think that is the key to what is needed.
>
>rkm

well, I've been trying to get academics and activists in the UK
together for ages, and find much the same thing. Activists accuse
academics of being reformists or of being all waffle and no action,
and academics accuse activists of being irrational and unscholarly. I
am of course, being somewhat generalist and stereotypical, as I do
know people that make a genuine effort to cross boundaries and
explore 'the other side'. Better known activist-academics (or vice
versa) include Patrick Bond, Richard Norgaard and the late Walter
Rodney to name but three.

So what is one to do? Is there 'good practice' that  gets like-minded
folk together? I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has a foot
in both camps or has tried to make a bridge between the two
communities.

By the way, you are correct - communication is the key.

Paul.

----------------------------------
"The Macintosh isn't a computer...
it's a way of life."  Don Rittner.