< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Re: philosophical/theoretic explanation

by Richard K. Moore

05 December 2000 04:00 UTC

12/4/2000, ilagardien@worldbank.org wrote:
    > Still personally: As for revolution, I want to make a bald
    statement, (and I would love to discuss this further) there
    can be no real true anti-capitalist revolution, not in this
    life (not that there is another): We need to overturn every,
    single aspect, the good and the bad of capitalism, and spawn
    a child (as a metaphor) that has no conception of greed,
    money, ambition, industry, competition,  ethnicity, race,
    sex, religion (even the structure of the calendar we use in
    the west - indeed Islam and Judaism have calandars of its
    own but, it can be argued that the one that we use in the
    world is structured around capitalism - and some pagan, or
    national holidays) - or life, in general, as we know it,
    today. To be sure, there is very, very little of our lives,
    today, that has not been made possible (or impossible, for
    that matter) by capitalism. Consider a world without
    capitalism...

Dear Ismail,

Oh... your posting _did go to the list.  My mistake.

I found your comments very interesting and I hope others
comment.

Regarding the above paragraph, I believe you attribute too
much to capitalism.  It only came into existence about 250
years ago. It is not at the root of our history; it is a
recent disease. Greed, money, ambition, ethnicity, race,
sex, competition, and religion are all perennial traits of
humanity.  Capitalism did not invent them, it merely
exploited them.  Capitalism is the Great Exploiter.  It's
essence is to exploit whatever is available. Yet even
exploitation pre-dated capitalism.

We cannot overcome all of these traits, and to do so would
diminish our humanity.  But we can overcome capitalism.

rkm