< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

RE: Thinking out loud

by Jeffrey L. Beatty

01 December 2000 14:44 UTC

At 07:18 PM 11/30/00 +0000, Richard K. Moore wrote:

>>From my off-the-edge-of-the-world perspective, I can
>certainly agree that the neoliberal revolution is a
>consolidation of power within the ruling class, and not a
>change of ruling classes. But the neoliberal 'whatever' _is
>a fundamental shift in power relations which extends
>dramatically the scope of the disenfranchised, and the depth
>of disenfranchisement, not to mention the scope and depth of
>exploitation. I think that provides a revolutionary (in your
>sense) opportunity. Ie, lots of new allies. But that's
>only if we can talk to them.
>
>rkm

An observation: Richard's comment is consistent with the views of many radical political economists outside the orthodox Marxist camp, like Johan Galtung and L.S. Stavrianos. It is also consistent with the Gramscian thought of Stephen Gill. Gill goes so far as to include even some business people as progressive forces. See Gill's essay in the 1996 International Political Economy Yearbook, cited below.