< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

RE: Thinking out loud

by Richard K. Moore

30 November 2000 19:17 UTC

11/30/2000, Austin, Andrew wrote:
    > I think Louis is implying that Richard is using a weaker
    (less meaningful) conception of "revolution." Even if we
    leave the realm of Marxist thought, we do not usually
    describe the (rightward) intensification of a historical
    system as a "revolution."

OK.  Now I've learned Louis wasn't being facetious.

And I've learned that on this list it is considered odd to
think outside Marxist lines... (re: "_even if we leave the
realm...").

Also, that the list has a strong in-group culture, with
disdain for outside views (re: "like the caterpillar in
'Alice in Wonderland'..."). I suppose that explains why

From my off-the-edge-of-the-world perspective, I can
certainly agree that the neoliberal revolution is a
consolidation of power within the ruling class, and not a
change of ruling classes.  But the neoliberal 'whatever' _is
a fundamental shift in power relations which extends
dramatically the scope of the disenfranchised, and the depth
of disenfranchisement, not to mention the scope and depth of
exploitation. I think that provides a revolutionary (in your
sense) opportunity.  Ie, lots of new allies.  But that's
only if we can talk to them.

rkm