< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Re: Edward Said - American Zionism (3) (fwd)

by Boris Stremlin

10 November 2000 22:02 UTC

The conflict in the Middle East does not exist in a vacuum.  Israel exists
not only because the victors of WWII refused to except refugee Jewish
populations, but because one of these victors, namely the US, has opted to
establish and maintain Israel as its strategic outpost in the Middle East
region.  As has been pointed out on numerous occasions, the occupation of
Palestinian lands could not continue without continued US military and
diplomatic support.  Knowledge of that unwavering support is responsible
for the intransigent attitudes of Israelis who refused to deal squarely
with the Palestinians.  Israel, in the final analysis, is not a colony of
Worldwide Jewry, but just as much a Crusader state of the West.

It is true that Jews who live in and support Israel bear responsibility
for the just treatment of their Palestinian neighbors.  I have not seen
any polling of worldwide Jewry that suggests that a majority of it
supports continued construction of settlements and military occupation.
In as far as it does so, it is betraying its spiritual heritage.
However, a spiritual heritage is not unique to Jews, and in fact those
who stress it speciality are rightly regarded as Zionists who believe
their own people are God's special gift to the world and are uniquely
qualified to act as its moral conscience.  Christians and Muslims also
have a spiritual heritage which requires them to bear witness to God, keep
His commandments until the coming of messiah.  In the case of some
Christians, adherence to a belief in the reestablishment of Israel is a
necessary precondition to the unfolding of struggle of the Last Days.
The support of Israel in this belief constitutes a violation of their
spiritual heritage.   Last time I checked, the majority of the US
population was not made up of Jews, and the decision-making bodies of the
US government was not controlled by Worldwide Jewry.  Jews constitute an
important, yet not overwhelming percentage of the US electorate, and
Jewish financial strength, while disproportionate to their population, is
not yet so overwhelming as to be able to dictate policy to the United
States.  Finally, while no major party speaks out consistently against
Israeli aggression in the press, there are countless other examples of
uncritical acceptance of US foreign policy.  Just off the top of my
head, there is no major party which has criticized the destructive
American propping up of gangster capitalism in Russia since 1991 (Steven
Cohen has a great article about the "journalistic malpractice", in which
essentially the whole of the US media been complicitous, in a recent
copy of _The Nation_.)  Much the same can be said about US policies in the
Gulf and the Balkans.  It is no accident that there was a complete absence
of debate on foreign policy between the major presidential candidates, and
it is an absence which cannot be attributed to the power of the Israel
lobby.

In the final analysis, while Jews do bear the ultimate responsibility
of the just treatment of their neighbors, the ultimate responsibility for
US foreign policy, as well as American Zionism (what has been in question
here) rests with Americans, Jews and non-Jews alike.  Complaining that
fear of being labelled antisemitic for criticizing Israel keeps us from
criticizing Israel is morally equivalent it seems to me, to Israeli Jews
claiming that they need to expand settlements and maintain occupation
because their Arab neighbors have sworn to annihilate them. It does not
speak well for us to shunt the blame for American Zionism off on Worldwide
Jewry.

--
Boris Stremlin
bc70219@binghamton.edu