< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Re: The English Language

by Dr. R.J. Barendse

06 November 2000 10:35 UTC

Dr. R.J. Barendse in New Research in Chinese Economic History

>Now, why did the Royal Navy triumph over the French Navy - its only serious competitor by >then?
It occurs to me that superior seamanship along with actions at sea is only a part of what constitutes a Navy. Behind the scenes there is the huge bureaucratic function that requires persons that are literate and numerate to prepare accounts, order stores, negotiate with shipbuilders, complete trade documents, and whatever else is necessary in a large organisation.
Now I recollect from my ‘English’ history that Scotland had by about 1600 a ‘school in every parish’, whereas the same general education was not extended to children in England until about 1890.
So my question is, was the ‘Act of Union’ of 1701, that gave the United Kingdom, a means of tapping into a fund of people that was capable of carrying out the behind the scenes function and ensuring that the English language prevailed over world transactions since that time?

A difficult question since it mixes a few issues:

1.)The act of the Union itself was promply mainly motivated by military and political motives: England was then in the middle of a bitter and bloody struggle with France: the war of the Spanish succesion and it certainly didn't need a potential enemy to the North.

2.) The Scottish contribution to the rise of the British Empire is undeniable - however, the main contribution here was not to the Navy but rather to the Army. Navy pressgangs were mainly active in ports in England rather than in Scotland. Obviously, since eighteenth century England had a huge population working at sea, which can be estimated at something like 150.000 people. Particularly that great school of seamen, the coaleries, fetching coal from Newcastle to London, employed tens of thousands of seamen, and it's especially the manpower-reservoir of the coaleries which was tapped by the navy. But

3.) overall I don't think the main problem the Empire had in the eighteenth was a lack of people who could read and write: it might not have been up to our standards but eighteenth century did have a system of village school, so that about 70% of the English population could at least write their names in the eighteenth century. Furthermore the English population doubled in the eighteenth century, so that there was certainly no lack of personnel with some skills.

So, yes, the Scots did make a contribution and quite out of proportion of their numbers but that may have been more because they were more willing to settle elsewhere than the English were, rather than because they were more highly skilled.

Best wishes
R.J. Barendse