< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Re: On the Responsibility of the Weak: Jeffrey Isaac

by Jeffrey C. Isaac

05 November 2000 07:32 UTC

My piece was circulated, without my knowledge, on your listserve. It
appears as though you have encountered it, less clear that you actually
have read it. I am not interested in polemics with you. You know nothing
about me, but you draw inferences about my politics from inferences about
my identity--that I am Jewish. I AM Jewish. I am also many other things.
I do not wear my identity on my sleave and I do not believe that ethnic
identities confer ethical commitments or political allegiances. I have no
"complexes" about Israel and I make no claim to speak for "my people,"
whoever they may be. I think for myself and I speak for myself. The piece
that you have seen explains what I think. I think that the settlement
policy is wrong. I think that Jewish terrorists are as reprehensible as
Palestinian terrorists.  I think there is much blame on "both sides" of
the Israeli/Palestinian conflict. I also think that peace is better than
war. I was greatly disturbed by what I heard Hannan Ashrawi say. As for
what you say, I do not know you, nor do I know for whom you claim to
speak. It is regretful that you do not seem interested in engaging
arguments on their own terms. If there is to be any reasonable settlement
of these painful issues, it will only come when people cease denouncing
each other. The point that I made was that being subordinate does not mean
being irresponsible. Such leaders as Nelson Mandela ande Vaclav Havel have
understood this. I hope that Palestinian leadership comes to understand
this as well.

Jeffrey C. Isaac