< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Re: Hierarchy In the Forest

by Paul Gomberg

24 October 2000 21:27 UTC

Richard,

I am curious about your praise of Boehm. I am not familiar with this
particular version of the "tendencies toward dominance are in the genes"
argument, but am curious about the argument and the use of the phrase
"alpha males" in reference to humans.

Are you familiar with Owen Lovejoy's argument about the origins of
bipedalism and its relation to the peculiarly human sexuality? There is a
nice version of his argument in an anthology entitled The Origin and
Evolutions of Humans and Humanness." (It is a development and reworking
of an earlier piece in Science, called, I believe, "The Origin of Man"
but I am not sure.)

Dirctly on the question of alpha males: humans lack the strong sexual
dimorphism, particularly in the size of the canines, which is related to
sexual strategies that depended on competititon among males for access to
females. Large canines are not particularly useful for consuming food;
rather their advantage would seem to be in the displays and fighting
which mark competition among males for females, but humans lack them.
What does that tell us?

Chimps have conspicuous estrus, where female displays indicate sexual
receptivity and spark competition among males for access to
females. In contrast, humans have hidden estrus and permanent
sexual receptivity. What does that tell us?

Chimps mate indicriminately; humans form sexual pairs. What does it mean?

Female chimps, who are alone reponsible for nurturing infants, are severely
limited in the number of infants they can bear and nurture in an adult
lifetime. In contrast, human societies can provide for children and their
parents when they cannot provide for themselves, enabling the nurturing
of more children. How are these facts connected? What doe they tell us
about humans?

This combination of features, and many others, seem to indicate that
there is a fundamental change in human (versus chimp) social organization
and reproductive strategies. Lovejoy relates this to the orgin or
bipedalism and sharing (or communism). That is, bipedalism makes it
possible to use the hands for carrying and this in turn makes it possible
to organize social life (the foraging camp) based on going out,
retrieving food and bringing it back in order to share it. In turn this
makes it possible to nurture more infants.

Human sexual strategies come to depend on pair bonding, sex for bonding
(not just reproduction), and families as sharing groups. This is written
on our faces (lack of large canines) and in our sexuality (hidden estrus).

Do I know that this is true? Does Lovejoy? Here, again, in the article in
the anthology on humans and hummanness, Lovejoy is very good on the
epistemological limitations of these speculations.

So I think it is time to say once again: speculations about "alpha males"
and an "innate tendency toward aggression and domination" say much more
about the politics of the writer than they do abou the weight of
scientific evidence.

In struggle,

Paul