< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Venezuela and U.S. versus European alliances

by Alan Spector

23 October 2000 23:01 UTC

To WSN:

Someone posted this question on the Internet. Does anyone out there in WSN have any leads on how to find answers to this question?  Thanks, Alan Spector

Here's what was posted:

                    Venezuela is much more important strategically to the U.S.
than Colombia whose supply of oil seems to be
limited and getting depleted lunless a lot of money is spent on developing
new oil fields. Venezuela supplies 20 per cent of U.S. oil imports. Used to
be that Venezuela was known as Rockefeller's territory. The Rockefellers
used to have a ranch in Venezuela considered bigger than some states in the
U.S. I don't know what is the situation now. I know PVDSA, the state-owned
Venezuelan oil company controls most of the oil, but I don't know what is
the role that Exxon and other oil giants play in this. Chavez's role needs
more investigation. He just signed a deal with Cuba to supply it with oil
along with deals with other Latin countries to supply them with oil, making
its own deals. Chavez talks a big game about developing Latin American
independent of the U.S., but in practice this is unclear. By the way, oil
workers (led by reactionary anti-Chavez union hacks) went on strike a couple
of weeks ago for higher wages (they said that PVDSA executives are very well
paid so workers deserve better). Chavez agreed to some of the workers'
demands, and named a general to run the state-owned oil company. Chavez, who
seems to be a nationalist and populist, could turn out to be more dangerous
than Fidel to the U.S. (at least now that there is no USSR), because
Venezuela has plenty of oil. But so far, the U.S. has not tried not to
antagonize Chavez as much as they did to Castro early in the 1960s, I guess
because there is no Soviet Union and the U.S. is too much preocuppied with
Colombia and the Middle East. Also, I read a Brazilian report on Occidental
petroleum in Colombia and kept on referring to the Canadian-based Occidental
Petroleum. Anyone has any info on that.