< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Re: The US Left & Palestine and WSN

by Alan Spector

15 October 2000 17:57 UTC

Let me make some smaller points to pinpoint the discussion. I'll save the
main political points for last. I cannot and would not speak for the whole
"World Systems Network",  but I would suggest that WSN is not a "group."
While the "World Systems Analysis" developed by Wallerstein and others has a
strong "Left/Anti-imperialist"" aspect to it, and while the founders of the
"World Systems (internet email list) Network" have demonstrated strong
opposition to imperialist exploitation and oppression, the reality is that
the "World Systems Network" is simply a discussion list.

As someone who has been involved with this list for over 5 years, I can say
that it has become more of a broader based list, with the "World Systems
Analysis" viewpoint being very much diluted into a list that often just
discusses international issues in a very general sort of way. There are some
more "Left" postings based on variations of World Systems Analysis, of
various branches of Marxism, and of Lenin-influences analysis.  But there
have also been postings covering everything from a defense of the
perspective that human social behavior is largely defined by a person's
individual genes, to outright support for the most conservative of "free
market" philosophies, to various discussions about the energy crisis, to
cultural imperialism, etc.  Therefore, because it is not a "group" as such,
there isn't a "group identity".   I've also noticed that many of these
lists,including WSN have perhaps 10% of the number of messages posted than
was the case 5 years ago. All of this explains some of why there has not
been much discussion.

However, I have not spoken to your main question. As to the political point
of why there has been little discussion, I suspect that

1) there will be some discussion.

 And 2) many of the members on this list are simply uncomfortable with the
question of "What would be a just solution for the Palestinian and Jewish
people?"  I don't support theological states. (I actually don't support any
capitalist states and believe (like Marx)  that only the elimination of
capitalism and nations will allow the world to move to the next stage of
human history.) But specifically, opposition to theological states that
means that "Israel" as it is currently constituted, should cease to be a
state with a state religion and should undo its discrimination/oppression
against the Arab people. But I don't think that the Jews living there should
all be evicted. I also understand that most Arab people don't believe that
either, although the U.S. media paints the false picture that every Arab
person wants to see every Jew evicted or murdered.

Many people in the U.S., including intellectuals, cannot envision a world
where the working class runs society and treats each other with respect.
Therefore, these intellectuals retreat into various kinds of nationalisms.
They only see the choice as Israel functioning the way it does (although
those intellectuals probably wish it weren't so brutal.) Or they see the
choice as some sort of racist stereotype of Arab people slaughtering and
evicting Jews. So they maintain "critical support" for Israel.

I realize that I am being VERY PRESUMPTUOUS in the above writing and that
there are many, many, many people in the U.S. who do not have the views I
described above. To them I apologize. But there are plenty who do.  And the
media is very powerful.  Here in Chicago, there was an incident where
(possibly) two Palestinian-American youth MAY have shot marbles with a
slingshot at Jews. And there was a shooting at a rabbi where nobody was
hurt--the police currently have NO suspects in the shootings. But the media
continues to link both stories, spreading the illusion that Arabs are now
shooting at Jews in the U.S.

That's some of the reasons for the lack of response. Hopefully, there will
be some on WSN and other lists who will take up this question. Figuring out
the truth is always uncomfortable. If it is comfortable, it probably won't
accomplish much.

Alan Spector