< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Re: The US Left & Palestine

by KSamman

15 October 2000 16:22 UTC

Greetings,

Some very interesting analysis Alan, but I should have been more specific.  I
was especially thinking about the WSN (World Systems Network) who to this day
have not had one single discussion about Palestine over the past two weeks of
events.  If this same kind of action had happened in Eastern Europe or Latin
America we would have seen a very large number of wsn members writing on the
issue, rightfully so.  In my two years on this LISTSERV it seems to me that
anything occurring in the Middle East is of little concern to many on this
network.  The question is why?

As I have said in my past email I don't think it is due to issues of
ignorance or obsolescence, whatever that may mean.  It is more substantial
than that.  Nor is it explained by Arafat's nationalist politics, and that
the left is uncomfortable with nationalist politics, as Alan claimed.
Nationalist politics has never been a reason not to discuss issues on wsn.
Nor is it due to whether you come from a revolutionary or a liberal left.
Indeed, it is been the more anti-imperialist segment of the left that has
been alarmingly quiet on the issue, at least on wsn.  Liberals generally have
been speaking about the issue on a regular basis.  Of course, it has been
extremely racist and anti Arab in its presentation of the issue, but
nonetheless liberals do discuss it.  The "revolutionary" left, especially
those on the wsn, however, refuse to say a word about it.  Why?  Why is wsn
members so unwilling to talk about Palestine?

I'm not questioning your politics or whether you are opposed to the Zionist
colonization of Palestine.  In the case of Alan it is obvious that he is
sincere about his opposition.  My question is of a more general nature.  The
consistency of this silence is too predictable to be explained by any
political commitments.  It is systematic to the structure of our interactions
to be discussed in such ways.  It seems to be due to some latent and hidden
factors of this group that needs to be analyzed critically.

Thanks to those who have replied to all or to me personally.  If you can it
would be more constructive, I think, to respond to all than to me personally.
 But if you feel more comfortable only responding to me I will be glad to
hear your response.

Best Wishes,
Khaldoun Samman