< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

RE: RE: ANTI-GLOBALISATION MOVEMENT A MISNOMER?

by debsian

09 September 2000 04:57 UTC

I betcha I'm more pessimistic than you about the possibilities
of moving the masses of right-wing populists, leftward. Though
it could be because when I'm not perusing
my favorite left and liberal listservs, I'm scanning the far
right websites and boards. And seeing and responding when I feel
like it, to the endlessly repeated canards and half-truths about
the UN, and the Illuminati and such. The latest flame war was
on the American Patriot's Friends Network with an Christian Identity
adherent convinced that
Stalin was Jewish! Actually one person who joined in to rebut
such nonsense is a Bircher! Though just as on lefty
lists such as this, I don't think the internet, in general
attracts the terminally neutral or truly disinterested.
  Being as you teach in Arizona, I wonder if you've ever heard
Bob Djurdjevic speak? He's in Phoenix, I think. Has a webite
TruthInMedia, focuses heavily on anti-NWO polemics
and opinion mongering about Serbia. Mostly far right in tone,
though some leftists like Jared Israel of the Emperors New Clothes
website have appeared there. Israel, btw recently has attacked
Chomsky over his stand on Milosevic and human rights abuses against
the Kosovars, which Jared believes are total lies...
   So, this is kinda a meandering way of saying that I don't
hold out much hope of taking that anti-elitist, populist rightism,
and stripping away the demogogy. The vast majority of those folks
conflate the left with the centrist Establishment, have wacky
notions that merge Bolsheviks with Bankers, and when it comes
to social issues
get their info from Christian groups to the right of the Christian
Coalition!
                             Michael Pugliese