< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Semiperiphery

by Robin Pettitt

31 July 2000 17:38 UTC

Dear Fellow Members of the World-Systems Network

        I am presently doing research on the enlargement of
the European Union into the, former communist,
semiperipheral countries of Central and Eastern
Europe.
        Wallerstein defines semiperipheral states as those
states which "...combine within their boundaries a
significant mix of core- like and peripheral economic
activities".[1] He also points out that no activity is
inherently core-like or peripheral: "At given times,
and under given conditions, any [activity] may be
core-like or peripheral". [2] Furthermore "...given
products have had 'product cycles', starting off as
core products and eventually becoming peripheral
products."[3]This seems to be the farily widely
accepted view of the semiperiphery.
        However, I get the impression that this is a gradual
process of peripheralisation. I.e. there is no sharp
dividing line between core-like products/ activities
and peripheral products/ activities. Yet, I have found
no reference to a notion of semiperipheral products/
activities. Is that because I have overlooked it, or
is there simply not a notion of semiperipheral
products/ activities? If there is not such a notion
has someone given a reason why not?
        I would like to hear if anyone has any comments on
this or useful references.

Robin T. Pettitt

[1]: Wallerstein in Smith, Booth and Zalewski
(eds.),"The inter-state structure of the modern
world-system", International Theory: Positivism and
Beyond, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, 1996 p.
91
[2]: Ibid. p. 89
[3]: Wallerstein, Historical Capitalism with
Capitalist Civilization, Verso, London, 1995 p. 36

=====
Mr. Robin T. Pettitt
Department of Politics and International Relations
Lancaster University
Lancaster LA 1 4 YT
United Kingdom
rtpettitt@yahoo.co.uk