< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Re: Imperialism and poverty

by Andrew Wayne Austin

12 July 2000 17:18 UTC

Georges,

To say that the idea of putting an end to capitalism is obsolete is to
assume the permanence of capitalism. To the extent that enough people
agree with you, and fail to organize and struggle against capitalism, a
self-fulfilling prophecy is set in motion.

I reject completely the idea that capitalism is permanent. It will either
destroy itself or it will be transformed. The latter possibility is the
best possibility, since the destruction of capitalism will most probably
end in the destruction of the species. Capitalism is unsustainable in any
form.

Yes, our choices are constrained, but in a much different way than you
have suggested, Georges.

Andrew Austin
Knoxville, TN