< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

World Bank China dam update & Alert!

by Peter Grimes

07 July 2000 16:08 UTC

Subject: (50 Years) Tibet/WB Update! Outside-US Alert!
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2000 21:25:05 -0400
From: Soren <Soren@afgj.org>

It is 9 pm in Washington on Thursday July 6.

We have just come from the World Bank, where the Tibetans and friends
demonstrating in support of a NO vote by the World Bank Board on the
Tibet/Western China project have just been informed that the Board has
adjourned for the evening without reaching a decision.  Board members
are to reconvene tomorrow morning at 9:30 am.

We understand that the U.S. is standing firm in its opposition to the
project, but that the other G7 countries -- those with the biggest votes
-- are wavering.  (Some Europeans are firmer than others; we don't have
all the specifics.)

The details on the project are given in the old alert below.  The report
from the Inspection Panel referred to in it has now been leaked to the
press, after the Board refused to release it.  It is indeed a
devastating indictment of how the Bank has acted on this project.

We are calling especially on those in EUROPE, CANADA, and JAPAN to
contact your Executive Directors in the next few hours to urge a vote
against this project. Calls from other non-U.S. countries would also be
useful. This dissension within the Board is truly an extraordinary event;
public pressure from people in the Directors' constituencies NOW can be
VITALLY IMPORTANT.
The details on how to reach the E.D.s are at the end of the alert below.
Faxes and phone calls are best now (this is one case where the expense
could have a nearly immediate payoff!)

Thank you

50 Years Is Enough Network
Washington, DC  USA