< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Re: Neo-conservatism and workers

by g kohler

06 July 2000 20:53 UTC

-----Original Message-----
From: Alan Spector .....
Date: July 4, 2000 3:29 PM
Subject: Re: Neo-conservatism and workers

>A working class person with petit-bourgeois ideas is a working class person
>with petit-bourgeois ideas. Not a petit-bourgeois person, who presumably is
>part of the owning class or who makes his/her income primarily from the
>labor of others. Even upper income working class people are being cheated
by
>the capitalists.
>

>None of my comments are meant to forgive or excuse reactionary,
>pro-imperialist, even racist or pro-fascist ideas or actions that such
>"upper stratum" workers might carry out. Class analysis tells us about
>trends, not about individuals. Individuals must take responsibility for
>their acts, good or bad, no matter what class they belong to.

*************************************

Question: Could it not be that there are "class fractions" within the
working class-- with different fractional interests, just as, according to
some analysts, there are class fractions within the capitalist class? On a
global scale, one could then say that a significant part of the workers of
"center" ("imperialist") countries constitute a class fraction of the global
working class (this fraction being dubbed "global labour aristocracy") --
with fractional interests and political behaviours which tend to be
different from those of some other fractions of the global working class.

(Please ignore my earlier remark concerning petty bourgeoisie, I should have
said "behave like", instead of "is the".)

Gert Kohler
Oakville, Canada