< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Amaguaya-2000-Ecuador

by Emilio José Chaves

21 June 2000 02:20 UTC

Amaguaya-2000-Ecuador
Hello, WS-people. I just returned from a 4 days visit to a
peasant-indigenous intercultural meeting called Inty-Raymy (in quechua
language Inty=sun, Raymy=road). This was a celebration of the solstice,
when
different communities dance, sing and share the collection of corn and
other
fruits of land. It was done ahead of the 22d of june due to laboral norms.
Thousands of persons came from rural areas around Quito; you can not
imagine
all the varieties of dressing-costumes, rythms, dances, ways of preparing
food, and renewed traditions that got together. I enjoyed the hospitality
of
an indian family, where the mother, at her 73 year of life, and ten
sons/daughters, stills start her working day at 5 or 6 in the morning, with
the help of all people at home.
If you want to understand these days events at Ecuador, you must know that
prior to the so wished political change, they are rebuilding their inner
sense of self-determination and dignity through cultural meetings with
grass-root participation and the recovery of the wisdom from their
ancestors. They are helped by many people from the urban centers, but main
control of this process is in the hands of grass-root communities.
I was present at a ceremony called the Return of Atahualpa, the ancient
leader that tried to recover lost balance for them. Accompanied by shamans,
kids, young males and females, elders and mothers with one baby on her back
and one three years old kid in her hand, Atahualpa took a sacred bath at a
mystical pond, as a signal of the need to have a clean body-spirit
connected
to nature, liberated from resentment, prior to action, and also to remind
all of us that water, which runs over-ground or under-ground  must be kept
clean for all of us, because it is the blood of pacha-mama (mother earth),
and it is also part of our blood. In shamanic words this is called a
"limpia", a cleaning.
All this is just to remind you that global change will need not only a
systemic view (indiands have it, although from a different logic when
compared to Occident), but also grass-root people, full of clean
intentions,
and self-confidence to build a new world and a new balance.
In another moment I heard this sentence: "You have cut our trees, have
stolen the fruit of our work, have polluted our waters and winds, but you
will never cut our roots".
So for a few days I put my theories and yours inside the box of silences,
and just observed, listened and learned from them. I hope that occidental
minds will not interpret this as populism, nor as anti-scientific
bla-bla-bla. They will publish a web-place with pictures of this
experience,
when I get it you will receive it.
Thanks, Emilio