< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Re: population and stratification

by Richard N Hutchinson

05 June 2000 18:25 UTC

Paul-

Another point I neglected to make is that the horticultural societies with
"big man" redistribution are quite small, although somewhat larger than
typical g&h bands.  I would also think it makes sense to see the big man
systems as transitional to chiefdoms, rather than as an alternative.

So it is a huge leap to think that that sort of non-coercive system would
be possible in a complex planetary society.

I'm all for optimism, but I don't think you've given cause for it yet on
the issue of the possibility of pure egalitarianism in complex society.

Richard