< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Re: population: real problem, or capitalist plot?

by Richard N Hutchinson

02 June 2000 16:33 UTC

On Fri, 2 Jun 2000, Paul Gomberg wrote:

> Richard,
>
> An unusual and positive response, which shows we can learn through
> discussions. On Carneiro: the key truth in his theory of state origins is
> the recognition of  the role of social or environmental *circumscription*
> which limits the possibilities to move away from a particular
> geographical area. But the reason this is important has nothing to do
> with "population pressure;" rather the key point here is that state power
> (the organization of concentrated overwhelming force under central
> command) is ineffective if folks can move away from it.

Ah, but it it does have to do with population pressure -- if the
population weren't growing in the circumscribed area there would be less
stress on resources, and thus the rise of stratification and war could be
averted.  Carneiro assumes population pressure, but specifies conditions
under which it leads to the development of the state.

RH