< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Re: population: real problem, or capitalist plot?

by Paul Gomberg

02 June 2000 14:18 UTC

Richard,

An unusual and positive response, which shows we can learn through
discussions. On Carneiro: the key truth in his theory of state origins is
the recognition of  the role of social or environmental *circumscription*
which limits the possibilities to move away from a particular
geographical area. But the reason this is important has nothing to do
with "population pressure;" rather the key point here is that state power
(the organization of concentrated overwhelming force under central
command) is ineffective if folks can move away from it.

I appreciate your response.

Paul