< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Re: population: real problem, or capitalist plot?

by colin s. cavell

01 June 2000 22:45 UTC

Richard,

Looking back over Andrew Austin's postings on the subject of
(over)population, I fail to see any reference to "Lenin" or an "orthodox
Marxist-Leninist ideology", terms which you have raised.  That there is a
coherent epistemological framework which guides Andy's understanding and
analysis, I have little doubt.  And whether he or I or you choose to call
this underlying framework Marxism, Marxist-Leninism, orthodox
Marxist-Leninism, or whatever, is NOT the point.

The objection I raised with you is your ad hominen attack on Andy when a
simple
reply to the points he addressed regarding capitalist policies to restrict
population
growth in less-industrialized countries would have been sufficient.
Instead of
addressing Andy's argument, you attack his person by asserting that he has
somehow arranged his facts to fit his "orthodox Marxist-Leninist ideology",
even
though he nowhere utilizes these words.  Utilizing such red-baiting words
in the
US context would likely--you were obviously hoping--deflect the argument
away
from the issues at hand.  And you were able to generate one or two
subsequent
replies from others which again attempt to disparage Marxism-Leninism.

You state:  "We're all some sort of marxists around here, or hadn't you
noticed?"  If this were true, then I fail to understand the necessity to
disparage Marxism-Leninism, for that is surely your intent.  Moreover, if
we did
all share a similar epistemological framework, then the utilization of ad
hominen
attacks would logically be unnecessary.

Indeed, you further engage in this fallacious tactic of ad hominen
argumentation by
suggesting that perhaps I "share Andy's dogmatism".  Again, instead of
stating
Andy's position or the points you disagree with, you choose to refer to
"Andy's
dogmatism".  And further, in your letter to Mine Doyran [Date: Thu, 01 Jun
2000
14:03:51-0700 (MST)], you again utilize an ad hominen attack by referring
Andrew as "our dogmatic comrade".  Is he "dogmatic" because he is a
Marxist?
Again you reach into the historical tool box of red-baiters to make your
implication.

While I leave it to Andy to decide whether he considers you a comrade or
not, I am
certain that he, like I, object to you characterizing his analyses as
"dogmatic".  Assertion of a finding without analysis or explanation is the
basis
of dogmatism, and I have yet to see Andy assert a proposition without
analyis,
explanation, argumentation, and examples.

So again, you are exposed as engaging in ad hominen attacks with the
intention of
red-baiting Andrew Austin.

Colin S. Cavell                        "The first principal of non-violent
Department of Political Science        action is that of non-cooperation
with
Thompson Tower, Box 37520              everything humiliating."
University of Massachusetts
Amherst, MA  01003-7520                --Cesar Chavez, founder, along with
INTERNET:  cscpo@polsci.umass.edu      Dolores Huerta, of the United Farm
VOICE:  (413) 546-3408                 Workers of America, AFL-CIO
http://www-unix.oit.umass.edu/~cscpo          (http://www.ufw.org)