< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

a little logic for Spector

by John_Groves

01 June 2000 21:40 UTC

committed. Spector writes "Well, that MIGHT be a fallacy. But not always.
After all, I can say that SOME people who call themselves Nazis have done
bad things. Is it therefore a fallacy to label  ALL Nazis as bad?"

Actually yes. Look at it: Some x are y.  Therefore All x are y. Let's try
that out with a few examples.

"Some apples are red. Therefore all apples are red." Or how about "Some
people on WSN committ fallacies, therefore all people on WSN committ
fallacies."

What made your argument sound plausible is the fact that we all know all
Nazis are bad. We don't know about all people who argue in favor of pop
optimization.And even if we did, it still wouldn't affect the logic of the
argument.

Randy Groves