< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Re: original sin

by Spectors

22 May 2000 04:37 UTC

I appreciate Boris Stremlin's critique of my comments. I don't think my
comments adhered to a strict recital of
a mechanistic "base-superstructure" theoretical framework, but certainly,
how ideas are nurtured by class interests is one of the more important
questions to examine when we examine why certain ideas proliferate and
others fade away.

There are contradictory aspects to all theories. While I generally believe
that Darwin's theory of natural selection gave the most accurate accounting
to date of how creatures evolved, there was enough ambiguity in that theory
to allow racists and extreme bio-determinists to use that rhetoric, just as
there is enough ambiguity in certain theological doctrines to allow those
who believe in "free will" and those who believe that "God will call me when
He wants to" to coexist as branches of the same doctrine. At the level of
the lay person, there are all kinds of contradictions in how people apply
these ideas to understanding social processes. All these theories are
contradictory and it is how ASPECTS of those theories are developed and used
that is interesting to explore.

I think that extreme positivistic bio-determinism, extreme post-modernism,
and extreme religious fundamentalism all debase humanity, even as all three
of them consider themselves absolutely opposed to the other two. But Boris
is right in insisting on more than just sloganeering.

Alan Spector