< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Re: Politely written--hoping this doesn't start another round onbiology

by Boris Stremlin

21 May 2000 08:42 UTC

On Sat, 20 May 2000, Spectors wrote:

> The research commonly
> referred to as "sociobiological" is in fact GENERALLY nothing more than an
> "ideological, knee-jerk" updating of "Original Sin" theology.

There are, for once, some interesting topics being discussed on the list,
so I don't want to waste much time on this, but how, exactly, is
sociobiology "nothing more than" and updating of original sin theology
(and I hope I've made my suspicions concerning the former quite plain)?  I
think there are some theologians subscribed to this list, so perhaps they
could enlighten us, but I, in any case, am opposed to the knee jerk
equation of theology (including "original sin theology") with any
reactionary or determinist social doctrine (properly identified or
otherwise).

In line with the recent push to make posts on topic, I should add that a
reexamination of the role of theology is an important feature in the
structures of knowledge of the contemporary world-system.

Boris Stremlin
bc70219@binghamton.edu