< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Re: Cheap tix to DC/Baltimore (fwd)

by Dr. R.J. Barendse

17 May 2000 12:02 UTC

>>You say this in a post responding to Mine who regularly informs the list
>of conferences outside the United States. (If I am not mistaken, she was
>criticized by somebody who wondered why it was useful to people on this
>list to be told about conferences they cannot attend - can't win for
>losing.)

Yes - you are mistaken - Mine was informing the list about an interesting
talk in **Bufallo** to which I then responded that in that case I might
start informing the list on equally interesting talks in Amsterdam as well.
I don't have a problem with conferences but if everybody started briefing
talks somewhere we get into the position of my professional list where I
immediately delete 99% of messages received since these are utterly useless
when you're not in the US.

So

                                                    Comrades:

Minding comrade wally (vlady)'s dictum that the capitalist class will sell
us the rope that we will use to hang them on (figuratively speaking, of
course)

Let me inform you that Air Ghana now flies (directly) from Amsterdam to
Accra (no longer from Dusseldorf) for 890 guilders but that you have to book
two months in advance. Balkan Air on the other hand has raised its price
from Amsterdam to Accra to 940 guilders (used to be 870). But they do fly
directly on Lagos now for 1020 guilders.. Sadly the price from
Accra-Amsterdam-Accra is still 2.345 guilders by Balkan Air and with Air
Ghana it's 2.870 and the ticket is still only valid for three months.

That's very useful information for me and for several people I know in West
Africa and Holland who want to visit their boyfriends/girlfriends/family in
Nigeria and Ghana (and maybe have good intellectual exchanges there too)
wouldn't you think so ? And it's certainly non-US centric (and these are
very subaltern African women in addition) so we should privilige this kind
of useful information - right?

You guys ARE aware of the existing of a thing called telephone - right?

R.J. Barendse