< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Re: Ask for Green Cars

by Carl Dassbach

13 May 2000 12:54 UTC

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bruce Podobnik" <podobnik@lclark.edu>
To: "WORLD SYSTEMS NETWORK" <wsn@csf.colorado.edu>
Sent: Friday, May 12, 2000 5:05 PM
Subject: Ask for Green Cars

> As many of you undoubtedly know, there are a
> variety of new, less-polluting cars that are on
> the verge of being mass-produced.  However,
> the large US, European, and Japanese auto
> manufacturers who have developed these
> cars are uncertain as to the level of consumer
> demand that might exist for low-emissions vehicles.

The popularity of SUV is due to two factors: the stupidity of the average
consumer and the manufactured demand by the auto compnaies.  SUVs, as
trucks,  are not subject to CAFE so they can guzzle gas with impunity.
Moreover, they are high profit vehciles - they use very basic existing truck
technology (in most cases) making them cheap to manufacture while auto
compnaies can add all types of options to up the prices.  Hence, it is
little wonder that US companies in particular have pushed the SUV and pick
up truck and the average consumer, who has about as much mental independence
as a chipmunk on a treadmill, has bought them in ever increasing numbers.

As long as gas prices remain ridiculously low in the US ( by world
standards) Americans will be manipulated into buying these useless vehicles.
The only genuine solution, as far as I am concerned, is to gradually raise
gas prices to $2.50 (and eventually more) a gallon through taxation and keep
it at that level (hence insulate it against shocks) by decreasing taxes as
prices go up and increasing taxes as prices go down.  The money could be
used to fund, for example, national health care.  Europe has demonstrated
that  high energy prices are not a hinderance to economic growth and
expansion.  Whjat is determental is sudden and rapid changes in prices.  It
is about time that energy in the US approximate its real cost.

Right now, low emission, high mileage cars are not popular in the US - Honda
couldn't sell it gas-electric hybrid and had to offer rebates and discounts.
(I doubt if Toyota will do any better with its hybrid) Other technologies
such as TDI do not make sense as long as fuel prices are so long becuase,
with diesel and gas at the same price it is hard to justify the added
expense of TDI.

So, we can rant, rave and scream as much and as often as we will. As long as
energy prices remain low, Americans will continue to buy large, polluting
and fuel inefficent cars.  This is a simple fact.