< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

SPLC

by Doug Henwood

27 April 2000 20:09 UTC

Jeffrey L. Beatty wrote:

>I am willing to concede the possibility that selective
>perception on the part of the media may have caused the right-wing elements
>to get more attention than their actual presence entitled them to.

Any more than microscopic attention would be excessive. They were
essentially invisible.

Here's a recent WSJ piece on the same topic.

Doug

----

Wall Street Journal - April 19, 2000

Left and Right Converge
On Economic Globalization
[by Gerald Seib]

YOU'D THINK PAT Buchanan and the protesters in Washington's streets
this week would feel some real bonds, given that they share a hatred
for runaway economic globalization.

You would be wrong.

Consider Brendan O'Sullivan, who should be Pat Buchanan's kind of
guy. He's deeply suspicious of big international financial
organizations, leery of free-trade rhetoric and wary of trade deals
with China. Ditto for Mr. Buchanan.

Mr. O'Sullivan feels strongly enough about all this that he traveled
to Washington from Madison, Wis., this week to stand shivering in the
rain and protest outside World Bank headquarters. Mr. Buchanan feels
strongly enough that he left the Republican Party to carry his views
into the Reform Party.

Given this harmonic convergence, Mr. O'Sullivan is thinking about
supporting Mr. Buchanan for president on the Reform Party ticket,
right? Not a chance. "I think basically he's a right-wing fascist,"
Mr. O'Sullivan declares.

There, in a nutshell, is the problem faced by Mr. Buchanan on the
right and all those protesters on the left. They happen to come
together to oppose the World Bank and the International Monetary Fund
and unfettered free-trade policies. But each side considers the other
a flawed messenger.

It's trendy to say that the far right and the far left have moved so
far away from the establishment on international economics that
they're actually coming together. But that sounds more true than it
really is. In talks with several dozen protesters on Washington's
streets this week, not one volunteered praise for Mr. Buchanan. The
presidential candidate of choice, for those who might vote, is the
reliably leftist Ralph Nader.

IN REALITY, MR. BUCHANAN and the demonstrators may arrive at similar
positions, but do so for strikingly different reasons. "Many of them
are globalists and interventionists, and I'm not," Mr. Buchanan
acknowledges.

Mr. Buchanan is an economic nationalist. His goal in opposing trade
deals and international economic organizations is, first and
foremost, to protect the well-being of American workers. He feels the
International Monetary Fund and World Bank are sucking away American
workers' tax dollars to bail out international bankers and line the
pockets of corrupt oligarchs, so he opposes them.

The demonstrators this week oppose the World Bank and IMF as well,
but more out of concern for workers internationally. They think the
institutions pay too little heed to the human and environmental
rights of workers in other countries as they finance the work of
multinational corporations. "There are some profound differences when
it comes to motivation," says Mark Stout, a Green Party member from
California, who showed up at the protests wearing a Nader button.

Those differences eventually come to the surface. They lead Mr.
Buchanan to oppose forgiving Third World debts, for fear the bill for
unpaid debts will be shifted to American taxpayers through higher IMF
and World Bank dues. The protesters, by contrast, chant for forgiving
Third World debt to ease the burden of development.

SIMILARLY, MR. BUCHANAN opposes many trade deals because he thinks
they put American workers at a disadvantage by allowing in imports
produced by cut-rate overseas labor. The protesters oppose the same
kind of trade deals, but more out of concern that they fail to help
the foreign workers whose paltry wages and unsafe working conditions
produce those cheap imports. Mr. Buchanan and his compatriots "have a
protectionist attitude," says Amber Martin, a protester from Albany,
N.Y. "Our view is that we want other countries in the world to have
the same economic benefits we have in the U.S."

Sometimes, of course, there is a real convergence. Mr. Buchanan says
that he had more in common with the protesters who disrupted the
World Trade Organization meeting in Seattle earlier this year. By
opposing the WTO, he says, both he and the street protesters "were
standing up for America's right to decide her own laws, and not have
them revoked or rescinded by some international organization."

So both he and the protesters oppose the U.S.-China trade deal that
is to open the way for China's entry into the WTO. But Mr. Buchanan
does so in part because he thinks American workers will be hurt as
big multinational corporations move American jobs to Chinese
factories. The protesters object largely because they think Chinese
workers' rights will be violated in those same factories.

And good luck trying to get Mr. Buchanan and the street people to
agree on, say, immigration policy. It's cool to talk about how right
and left converge in the New Economy. But so far, talk outstrips
reality.